The History of Paris Regional Medical Center
The hospital has come a long way since its inception in 1911. Fully accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, the two campuses are licensed by the Texas Department of Health. In addition, Paris Regional Medical Center is a member of the Texas Hospital Association. The beginning of what was to eventually become Paris Regional Medical Center dates to 1896 when the Sisters of Mercy operated St. Patrick’s Academy, a boarding school near downtown Paris. After several years of agonizing labor and severe tests of faith, six sisters reopened the facility as St. Joseph’s Infirmary on October 1, 1911.
In 1999, St. Joseph’s ownership changed when it became a part of the new CHRISTUS Health System, created as a result of the merger of the Incarnate Word Health System and the Sisters of Charity, Houston.
In August, 2001, CHRISTUS St. Joseph’s Health System purchased the buildings, equipment and certain services of the competing 210-bed McCuistion Regional Medical Center, owned at the time by Texas Health Resources. With the acquisition, CHRISTUS consolidated services of the two hospitals into one system.
Essent Healthcare, Inc. purchased CHRISTUS St. Joseph’s Health System in late December 2003 and took over operations on January 1, 2004 as Paris Regional Medical Center. In November of 2011, Essent Healthcare, Inc. merged with RegionalCare Hospital Partners, making Paris Regional Medical Center a part of it.
Paris Regional Medical Center has recently completed its long awaited Northward Bound Project, a project estimated at approximately $20 million. Now all acute care services have been consolidated to the North Campus location location, 865 Deshong Drive, Paris, 75462.
Senior Transitions (behavioral health), the Auxillary Gift Shop and most of Paris Regional Medical Center business services continue to be on the South Campus location, 820 Clarksville Street. There are also physician offices, outpatient cardio- rehabilitation, outpatient comprehensive wound care, PrimeTime Senior Citizens Center located in other buildings close to the South Campus location.